July 2022 brought a lot of exciting announcements and proposals for the WordPress project, from an updated timeline for the WordPress 6.1 release, to design updates on WordPress.org. Read on to learn more about the latest news from the community.
WordPress 6.1 development cycle is now published
Mark your calendars! The WordPress 6.1 development cycle has been published along with its release team. The expected release date has been updated to November 1, 2022, to incorporate feedback received on the first proposed schedule.
In the meantime, you can upgrade WordPress to version 6.0.1. This maintenance release became available for download on July 12, 2022, and includes several updates since WordPress 6.0 in May 2022.
A new look for the WordPress Homepage and Download page
Following the revamp of WordPress.org/News and the Gutenberg page, further design updates are coming to WordPress.org to create a fresh and modern user experience that reflects the future of WordPress.
The WordPress.org home and download pages will be the next pieces to get a refreshed look and feel. The redesign project kicked off on July 8, 2022, and the development work is already underway.
Gutenberg versions 13.6, 13.7, and 13.8 are here
Three new versions of Gutenberg have been released since last month’s edition of The Month in WordPress:
- Gutenberg 13.6 shipped on July 6, 2022. It includes 26 bug fixes and accessibility enhancements. This release also builds on previous work to expand theme.json and to allow you to create a cohesive design across blocks.
- Gutenberg 13.7 brings an updated modal design, the ability to apply block locking to inner blocks, and new template types, to name a few highlights. It was released on July 20, 2022.
- The latest Gutenberg release, version 13.8, went live on August 3, 2022. It comes with fluid typography support among other enhancements, a new feature that will allow you to define text size that can scale and adapt to changes in screen size.
Team updates: WordPress mobile app changes, pattern previews, Five for the Future improvements
Feedback & testing requests
- WordCamp US is only five weeks away! The organizing team announced the Kim Parsell Memorial Scholarship recipients for this year. Congratulations to Margherita Pelonara, Simona Simionato, and Pooja Derashri!
- 20 organizations have stepped forward to support underrepresented speakers from all over the world to get to WordCamp US 2022. Visit the Underrepresented Speaker Support page to donate to the fund or ask for support if you are part of an underrepresented group.
- WordCamp Asia 2023 opened a new Call for Speakers and Media Partners. The deadline for speaker applications is September 15, 2022. The organizing team also shared more details on the ticket release timeline.
- Don’t miss these upcoming WordCamps:
- 🇺🇬 WordCamp Jinja, Uganda on September 2-3, 2022
- 🇳🇵 WordCamp Kathmandu, Nepal on September 3-4, 2022
- 🇺🇸 WordCamp US in San Diego, California on September 9-11, 2022
- 🇳🇱 WordCamp Netherlands, The Netherlands on September 15-16, 2022
- 🇪🇸 WordCamp Pontevedra, Spain on September 24-25, 2022
Have a story that we should include in the next issue of The Month in WordPress? Let us know by filling out this form.
The following folks contributed to this edition of The Month in WordPress: @chaion07, @laurlittle, @mysweetcate, @sereedmedia, @dansoschin, @rmartinezduque.